Just had my mind blown by Forge/Foundry

We just ran our first PF2e game in Foundry, the ruleset’s been built in an incredibly smooth way and all the conditions or status effects being taken into account automatically for rolls meant we could concentrate fully on gameplay rather than rules.
The Pathbuilder import facility worked really well, I hope there’s something on the roadmap for Nexus’s character builder to integrate with Foundry.

7 Likes

The pathbuilder-foundry import module was discontinued and shouldn’t work anymore, isn’t that right? What did you use for import?

There’s a module called Pathmuncher, by MrPrimate, which works really well; players need permission to create actors though or it throws a wobbly
It appears as a link at the top of the character sheets and can be used to add updates from your toon on Pathbuilder, so levelling or players forgetting to give themselves starting equipment are easily handled.

1 Like

More information can be found at this link

This!
Fantastic piece of work and a major blessing.
Sorry I got the author wrong, I was on the bus to work and couldn’t check

1 Like

DnD Beyond had a lot of character scrapers written for it. It would really be nice if Nexus would just have a simple JSON export so there could be a simple JSON import created for PF2 on Foundry (and elsewhere).

2 Likes

I’m hoping this will be somewhere on the road map. Considering the char builder is still in closed alpha, it may be some time

I’ve been so blown away by Foundry and it’s capabilities so many times - the fact that it can do so much while simultaneously being like, not made by some huge corporation with tons of little annoying corner ads all the time is just… Amazing on every level. I don’t think any other VTT is going to come close; the ones that are in 3D just really don’t appeal to me, personally, and I can’t imagine how I’d be able to draw my own art or maps and use them in such a scenario either - currently I’ve drawn all of my party’s characters and we have a little setup where this ‘theater’ pops up and the character art pops up on the sides and words come out of their mouth like a comic book speech bubble when people write in the text window. There’s even little emotion emoji things so they can bounce around and blow steam like they’re angry etc. it’s just really dynamic and fun.

Foundry has really struck a perfect balance between functionality, cost, and accessibility that not many even professional companies with big budgets manage to do. If anyone hasn’t tried it yet I would say give it a whirl, it’s a little bit of a learning curve but it’s well worth it.

So with the kickstarter for Alchemy coming soon, how does Demiplane support?

How should it support an undelivered and unproven system? It’s not a VTT in its own right nor does it directly integrate with existing VTTs. The dev backlog the Demiplane team have is immense and something like that would be right at the back of the queue, behind all the mooted work with the third party 5e creators.

I’d like the Demiplane character builder to be able to export characters in JSON or another format VTT importers could use (e.g. Pathmuncher or D&DBeyond Importer on Forge), but that’s as much as I think is realistic to hope for in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

I totally agree. A simple json export would be all that is needed from Demiplane. And near the end of the queue for workload reasons.

That being said, Foundry’s character import is just looking for a json file to begin with, so… it wouldn’t take much to have that as an option, but like I agreed with earlier, later on in the development.

1 Like