New comers to Vampire the masquerade

My sister and Brother in law have expressed interest in playing Vampire the masquerade to me. while I know alot about the game and lore I don’t know how to introduce them to the lore. They have played similar games like D&D and Avatar.

1 Like

The official Wiki for V5 has a lot of lore collected from the various source books and other canon data sources. But probably the best introduction is just reading the core book, as-is, cover to cover. There’s a LOT of lore woven through the rules.

2 Likes

I would love to finger out how to play as well. Played DND and vampires the masquerade a lot about 20 years ago. Just not on a pc and I am very new to this.

1 Like

I second this. The V5 core rulebook is excellent for conveying lore, in that it presents a view of the setting’s history, atmosphere and mythology without getting lost in the weeds.

For newcomers to the lore, I recommend starting from the “lexicon of the damned” in the core rulebook. It’s just a list of in-setting expressions (like kindred, masquerade, blood doll, etc), but It’ll give you a sense of how vampires in this setting view the world and their role in it and it makes an excellent primer before you’re ready to sink your teeth in. Pun unintended… but I’m not apologizing for it :joy:

2 Likes

Personally, I learn best by being walked through how to do something, and walked through the lore as well (able to ask questions as we go). Like your sister and brother in law, I am a newcomer to Vampire the Masquerade, and hope to find someone who will teach me.

1 Like

There is a free Quickstart story that uses a trimmed version of the rules. It’s “ok”. There is also an intro story “Starter Kit” called “New Blood” which is much better and eases the players into the lore by weaving Q&A sessions into the storyline. It also uses a slightly trimmed down version of the rules and is not free, but it is WELL worth teh price. I’ve run it 5 times now for various groups. My players have been a wide mix of folks that were “new to any Vampire: the Masquerade”, “new to V5, but not new to VtM”, as well as a few seasoned V5 players. Some of the newer players had only ever played D&D, and even then not much. All 5 games went very well, several of them have become Chronicles, though only 1 is still active.

Thank that helps alot

1 Like