Why is The Cataclysm of Kang so expensive

I’m curious why The Cataclysm of Kang appears to be more expensive (at least in the UK) than purchasing the physical book. In fact its 160% of the price of the Kindle version and 120% of the current Amazon price of the physical book.

If we cmpare it to Candela Obscura - the other new release, Candela Obscura on Demiplane is 40% of the hardback book price.

Having priced up a variety of other products I couldnt find any other product where the Demiplane price was higher than the physical book. The nearest I could find was Pathfinder Kingmaker which is about 75% of the price of the book, but this is discounted heavily (to about 40%) if you link your Paizo account and have bought the physical book through them.

I can’t question the value of the book - thats a personal choice, but I can question the relative cost of a physical hardback vs a digital resource - which doesnt have all the printing and distribution costs, obviously it has costs but they shouldnt be as high.

It really stands out as a huge outlier. Some books like Vampire The Masquerade Corerules are about 35% of the Hardback price - which is stunning value. The relative cost of Kang (Handback vs Demiplane) is way out of line with everything else. Why is this one book more expensive on Demiplane than in Hardback?

I guess I could equally well ask why is everything other than The Cataclysm of Kang so cheap. Whatever the case this one book seems to be an outlier.

They’re about the same price here in Canada. 68.33 on demiplane, 62.50 on amazon.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

We price content for each publisher according to our license agreements with them. For most NEXUS digital books, that lands somewhere around $29.99.

In the case of the Marvel Multiverse RPG, the Core Rulebook and Cataclysm of Kang have a retail price of $49.99 for the digital versions, and we must follow the license terms for them.

We frequently have sales that can reduce that price, so keep an eye out for those, and we’ll continue to push for lower price points on our end and make updates if / when we are able to do so.

Thanks!

1 Like