Avatar Legends NEXUS • Frequently Asked Questions

Hello and welcome to our list of Frequently Asked Questions for the Avatar Legends NEXUS. My name is Mellie, and I’m the Director of Community & Content here at Demiplane.

Here you’ll find answers to your questions about the Avatar Legends NEXUS and how to get started. If you have any questions that you can’t find the answer to below, please feel welcome to ask by replying to this thread. Thank you for joining us - we’re excited to be your official digital companion!

What is Avatar Legends NEXUS?

Avatar Legends NEXUS is an official digital toolset for the Magpie Games roleplaying game Avatar Legends. There you can read the digital rulebooks in our Digital Reader, as well as access a companion digital toolset that includes a Game Compendium that contains all of the Playbooks, Eras, Moves, and more to make playing and running the game easier than ever.

Is Avatar Legends NEXUS affiliated with Magpie Games?

Yes! We have officially partnered with Magpie Games to provide digital tools for playing the Avatar Legends roleplaying game.

What is Demiplane?

Demiplane is the place for digital tools, content, and services to discover, prepare, and play all your favorite tabletop roleplaying games. Demiplane empowers tabletop roleplaying game fans to make every game better by providing high-quality digital tools that support in-person and virtual play. On Demiplane, TTRPG enthusiasts access tools to discover new games, new players, form groups and enhance the ways games can be played, shared, and explored.

What is a tabletop roleplaying game?

A tabletop roleplaying game (or TTRPG) is an interactive storytelling game and experience for a group of players, one of whom takes on the role of Gamemaster (GM). The Gamemaster directs the gameplay, and each other player assumes the role of a character within the fictional setting described by the game and the Gamemaster. The Gamemaster describes the setting and the scenario and the players describe the actions that their characters take in response. Through this process, players navigate a multi-faceted, dynamic story.

What is a digital toolset?

A digital toolset is a term we use to describe the comprehensive set of features that you’ll have access to through Avatar Legends NEXUS. Our digital toolset includes the Core Book and Wan Shi Tong’s Adventure Guide, both of which were funded in the original Kickstarter for the game. Released material is available in a Digital Reader and a fully-searchable Game Compendium, all of which is integrated with our Group Video Portals on Demiplane!

What is a digital sourcebook?

A digital sourcebook is a digital version of Avatar Legends that is also fully searchable online and comes with a digital toolkit! You can discover all of the available content here.

Can I access the Avatar Legends NEXUS on mobile or tablet?

Yes! The Avatar Legends NEXUS is available to use on desktop, tablet, and mobile browser screens.

I was a Kickstarter backer for the game. How do I access the NEXUS?

You will be sent a redemption code that you can enter here to unlock your early access!

I’m not a Kickstarter backer. How can I access the NEXUS?

Avatar Legends NEXUS is beginning in early access for backers of the Magpie Games Kickstarter. When the NEXUS exits early access, you’ll be able to access to the Nexus and purchase the game!

How do I access the digital sourcebooks I've purchased?

You can access digital sourcebooks directly through the Avatar Legends NEXUS.

Will Demiplane offer future titles for Avatar Legends?

Yes, we look forward to working with our partners at Magpie Games on supporting Avatar Legends now and in the future as the game continues to develop and grow!

Does Avatar Legends NEXUS help with character creation?

It will! We plan to have a character builder that you can use during character creation, as well as a fully interactive character sheet that you can use during play once you’ve finished planning your character.

Does the Avatar Legends NEXUS accept international payments?

Yes, we do!

Help! I purchased a digital book, but I can't access it. What do I do?

We’re sorry to hear that you cannot access your new book! Please reach out to our Support team and we will get that resolved for you as quickly as we can.

If I delete my Avatar Legends NEXUS account, will I still have access to my digital sourcebooks?

Unfortunately if you delete your account you will no longer have access to any of the sources that were purchased with your account.

Can I get a refund?

Digital items are not returnable or refundable. See our Terms of Sale for the full details on making purchases on Demiplane.

If I purchase several books at once, is there a discount?

Yes. The digital book bundle available on the Avatar Legends NEXUS unlocks both the Core Book and Wan Shi Tong’s Adventure Guide at a 10% discount.

If I already own physical copies of Avatar Legends, can I get a discount or redeem a copy for free?

If you backed Avatar Legends on Kickstarter at the digital level or higher, you’ll receive a code through your order to redeem for the NEXUS edition here. If you obtained your physical edition of the book through another means, there is not currently a way to add or validate your purchase to the NEXUS.

Can I purchase a physical and digital copy for a discounted price on Avatar Legends NEXUS?

Yes! Demiplane and Magpie Games have partnered to offer you a one-stop shop for both a hardcover book and NEXUS access. When you purchase one of the book + NEXUS bundles in the Avatar Legends NEXUS store, you’ll immediately gain access to the book on Demiplane. After you complete your purchase on Demiplane, we’ll email you a special one-time use code. This code gives you a 100% discount on the book you just purchased, redeemable on the Magpie Games online store. Please note that this does not include any relevant shipping or handling fees. Redeeming the book from Magpie Games also gives you access to the PDF version in their store.

Once I've purchased content on Avatar Legends NEXUS, can I share it with my playgroup?

Here at Demiplane, we call the ability to share your books with those you game with ‘content sharing’. Content sharing is a perk available through our memberships. With a Demiplane membership, you can share ALL of your books across each Demiplane NEXUS with up to 24 users of your choice. Learn more here.

Where can I provide feedback or ask questions?

The best place to provide feedback or ask questions is here in our Forums! You can also contact our Support team, or visit us on our Discord.

Do I have to pay to use Demiplane?

Demiplane offers a variety of features that enhance your gameplay that are free to use. Matchmaking, video and voice, shared journaling, and other gamespace features remain free to use. Official books for Avatar Legends on the NEXUS are integrated after being unlocked by purchasing it on the Avatar Legends NEXUS.

How / Where do I create an Avatar Legends NEXUS account? Is it separate from my Demiplane account?

On Demiplane, you have one account to rule them all! Create a free account to access both Avatar Legends NEXUS and Demiplane here.

How can I keep up to date on Avatar Legends NEXUS news and releases?

Excellent question! You can keep up to date on the Avatar Legends NEXUS by following Demiplane here on our forums, on our Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, by jumping directly into our Discord community, or by tuning into our weekly Dev Updates on Twitch. Don’t worry - we won’t be shy about sharing updates as soon as we can!

For more information about the Avatar Legends NEXUS, click here.

Didn’t find an answer to your question? Go ahead and ask them in this thread!

Thank you, and enjoy exploring the many eras and options of the Avatar Legends roleplaying game on Demiplane!

Mellie @ Demiplane

1 Like

Is there an app version of the Nexus that we can access, or will one become available?

1 Like

Currently everything on Demiplane is browser-based. It’s pretty lightweight, so you can use it on your phone or tablet browser without issue.

We don’t have plans for an app right now, but once the Nexus is out of early access, we may re-assess what makes the most sense based on feedback and interest from the community.

2 Likes

ok so a couple questions (for now lol):

1. we need to have a demiplane paid account to share access to the books and stuff with other players… what if another player also kickstarted the avatar game? will they need to have a paid account?

2. what kind of GM tools will there be? will there be a NPC creation/binder tool? we don’t need grids in the game, but having all of the NPCs at the ready would be nice

thanks!

Good questions, I’ll try to answer them for you:

1. If everyone in your group already has access to the books, there’s no need for content sharing. The Demiplane Membership gives you access to content sharing and unlimited character slots (all accounts get a few character slots by default). The key to content sharing is flexibility, so if you want to share content, great! But it’s not required to be a Member or have content sharing active to do anything else on Demiplane.

2. We already have the Game Rules listings, which are helpful for session prep as a GM. In our groups (should you choose to host your game on Demiplane), we offer some additional tools for note taking and organizing your session. In the future, there will be the ability to add homebrew options (which will be very handy for GMs), but we’ll have more details about that later down the line. First things first: we want to get the character builder up and running. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

as long as there is a character keeper that is searchable and easy to manage… please! there are some great home made character keepers, but having an official one that has the tooltips and can use any of the released books would be a game changer - especially for someone like me who has memory issues. i have so many NPCs something to keep them organized would be huge.

I think you’ll be very pleased with what we’re cooking up. When we can share more, we will. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

my breath is rated 9/10 on the baited scale

1 Like

Another question related to content sharing. I’m a DM in a Avatar Campaign, and I’ve backed the kickstarter. With my account, will my players be able to create and keep track of their characters in some way?

Character management will come in early 2023. Once that rolls out, every account will have access to a number of slots for free. Members will receive unlimited character slots. Content sharing will give them access to all of the playable options for their own characters, but they would still be limited by the number of slots unless they chose to pay for a Membership as well.

1 Like

How can I tell if my redeem code worked for Avatar? I redeem code and when I look, I can’t tell if it was successful.

If you go to the Avatar Legends NEXUS, you should be able to access the books after redeeming the code!

1 Like

It doesn’t show books. Just shows a bunch of tabs I can look at by clicking. Is it like that or does it come in book format?

thought of another question - will there be a search function for the books like there are for the core rules? i was trying to guide someone through char creation tonight and it was easier to search through my PDF than go through the core rulebook on here.

Edit: oh and having the different techniques marked as either from the core rules or from WST would be super helpful when you’re running a game that isn’t using the expanded material? we’re only using the source book for my game right now, no WST stuff.

Good questions.

We do have a search bar at the top of every NEXUS, which you can use to search for specific terms. As of this moment, Avatar Legends content isn’t indexed into the search bar, since it hasn’t released for everyone yet. That will release later this month, when everyone can get into the NEXUS.

You can in the Techniques listing (and all of them, really) click the green Filter button and set up advanced filters, such as by source. I use our advanced filtering all the time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

i was wondering if that would be the case. i really can’t wait to start using this site fully and not have to have multiple pdfs open anymore.

and yes ive def been using the moves/techniques/etc. i wish it was all done now, its too exciting a prospect to wait!

1 Like

Hi @MellieDM ! I’ve just made an account now that Avatar Legends is now on Demiplane.

Looking forward to the character builder and everything else to come for the Avatar Legends Nexus here! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I have yet to to completely read and understand the game but as an Avatar fan and with a bit of UI/UX experience I’d like to give you some feedback on the interface currently available in early access.

Apologies for the multiple posts but it only lets me embed a single image per post.

For reference I am viewing your website using Chrome (Version 105.0.5195.134 ) on a Chomebook (ASUS C214M) with a 11.6-inch, 1366 x 768 display.

DROP DOWN MENUS

The readability of this menu was incredibly confusing and it is not obvious even on a mouse over that it is an interactive UI element. I actually thought it was telling you how deep you have navigated - that is I am currently in Avatar Legends NEXUS > Sources > Game Rules and I thought clicking on Sources would go back to a Sources page and not reveal a drop down menu. I only discovered this was a drop down menu by accident, so you could easily use this site for years and never touch this incredibly useful UI element.

To improve this I would suggest pointing the existing arrows downwards (this is the universal web symbol to indicate a drop down menu), turn the arrow blue on mouse over (to indicate you are viewing this drop down menu’s contents) and also show the drop down menu contents on mouse hover (this will also help speed up the UX and minimise clicks).

SOURCES & ADVENTURES - DROP MENU

While there is a small number of Sources it might be nice to separate the Adventures out from the Sources, that is to have an additional Adventures drop down menu as well.

ERAS OF PLAY - DROP MENU

It might be good to have the Eras of Play to have their own drop down menu at the top of the page as it seems like something you would like to quickly jump to. Or perhaps alternatively have it like the game rules drop down menu as a side list under sources.

QUICK LINKS - ADD MORE

The quick links down the bottom should also include links to Moves, Techniques, NPCS, Backgrounds and Statuses as another way to discover your way around the interface.

FILTERS - SOURCE (ERAS)

Filtering by just the Source name is confusing as you typically remember what source you are playing by the Era. For instance Aang Era is more easy to recognise than Air & Wind. I would suggest to have it display as Air & Wind (Aang Era).

FILTERS - SCROLL BARS MISSING

When you are filtering Techniques etc the dropdown selection doesn’t display a scroll bar so you often are unaware there are more options to choose from. Adding a scroll bar will help remind new and experienced users that there are more items to view.

FILTER - SOURCE Adventure Guide Legends & Playbooks?

There is also a discontinuity on the digital tool set as Adventure Guide Legends & Playbooks I presume is referring to the physical book Wan Shi Tong’s Adventure Guide which I think also includes all the adventures. However the digital tool set calls it Wan Shi Tong’s Library & Extras so it is a little confusing as there is no consistency. Needs a general consolidation and consistent name throughout the entire digital tool set to avoid confusion. I also think Adventure Guide reminds me too much of Core Book when filtering, so calling it Wan Shi Tong’s Legends & Playbooks in the Filter section might be better to avoid confuse and frustration or alternatively Wan Shi Tong’s Library & Extras?