Slow loading

Hey, so I noticed that demiplane feels insanely slow for me on all devices. Could it be because I live in the Netherlands?

The strength of your internet connection is a factor, but there shouldn’t be any issues related to where you are located geographically.

Which NEXUS are you using when you experience slow loading times?

Hey,

So I have glass fiber internet and it does this everywhere in Holland and also on my phone (4g or wifi).

It’s with the pathfinder nexus

Cheers
Rhys

I love Demiplane. I own all the pf2e content. But the character tool is abysmally slow, and the pf2e content library isn’t that zippy compared to other sites. It isn’t your network connection. They’re working on it, and I’ve heard it will be much more usable soon.

Yes, we are actively working on our Pathfinder character tools refactor, which will include significant performance improvements.

The Pathfinder character tools are still in beta, which was also our first attempt to build a set of character tools on our platform. Our other, more recently released character tools are much quicker, and we’ll be taking the lessons learned from building them to benefit the Pathfinder character tools as we work on the refactor. If you haven’t checked out our other character tools yet, you should go click through one (Marvel Multiverse character tools released today, if you want a recommendation) to see what the finished Pathfinder character tools will be like. :slight_smile:

Any updated ETA on when character tools response time will be significantly improved?

I have previously purchased all the Pathfinder2E content in support of Demiplane, and love the interface with the compendium.

However, I recently used the character creation tool…and…it…was…maddeningly…slow. To the point I walked away from the interface in frustration multiple times. DDB response times are so snappy, its quite enjoyable to create D&D character/builds. But on Demiplane PF2E character creation is still a very unpleasant chore from merely opening a character sheet, to nearly each step of the build process.

Very much looking forward to having a more enjoyable/engaging/snappy experience with the PF2E character creation tools.

Agreed - every time I ask about performance, I’m told they’ve already fixed it, but the performance of creating brand new characters is still abysmally slow for me. I’m all-in on Demiplane content, so I’m hoping they continue to make truly significant performance improvements to the character tools, because Demiplane is currently far slower and less usable than Pathbuilder or Herolab Online.

Hey folks - chiming in to share a few things on this topic.

First off, be sure you are creating new characters (and not trying to access characters previously created in the Beta), because the initial performance updates are only applicable to the full launch release we had at the end of last year and would only apply to new characters. After that release, we see in the site metrics and in community feedback that first release made performance much better for most people. That’s likely the reason you’re hearing reports that “it’s fixed,” because it is for many.

Now we’re down to figuring out environments / edge cases when it comes to performance.

For a specific example, almost our entire team loads even a level 20 Pathfinder character is sub 20 seconds (much faster for lower level characters), while it often takes me 45+ seconds. Obviously 45 seconds isn’t acceptable, but we’ve got to figure out the root cause of why that’s happening for “just me” while it’s snappy for everyone else on the team.

We’ve spent a great deal of time and energy getting the platform to work in the first place (for all the games we support), and now we are transitioning to tracking down those cases where we still have something happening that impacts performance. We don’t see those impacts on most of the games, even in those edge cases, because no game is as complex as Pathfinder.

But getting Pathfinder primed and polished to our high standard is our primary focus moving into the end of this quarter, and we are committed to making sure we hit that mark. We have some in-progress updates (codenamed “Tomato”) that are going to improve performance more for everyone. If whatever we do to address edge cases (like even my own) don’t work for you in your environment / setup, then we’ll keep at it until we get it sorted. We definitely won’t stop, as we have big plans for Pathfinder NEXUS this year.

More soon - thanks!

3 Likes

So, is there a timeline or roadmap for fixing the performance issues? I’m coming over from pathbuilder and it’s almost insulting to have to pay for the books AND deal with the abysmal performance.

Hi @TOKYOSHERO , based on some things @BadEye said in the most recent dev update, there are big performance improvements happening over the course of the next 2-6 weeks or so, and these changes are being made specifically to support Pathfinder (but will benefit all the character tools) - so it hasn’t been forgotten, and seems to be a pretty high priority for the Demiplane team!