Tablet Support (IOS or Android)

Does this or will this be usable on IOS or Android tablets? I think that would be absolutely amazing if so!

3 Likes

yes it does and there will be an app as well

3 Likes

I am sold! Thank You for that information.

1 Like

Do we happen to know when this will happen?

1 Like

In recent dev update they said the idea has been dropped.

1 Like

As of right now, there are no active plans for an app. That may change in the future, if there’s increased interest in it. But Demiplane and all of our NEXUSes are optimized to work on any device’s browser. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

+1 for the app, some of the places we play have very iffy phone reception and the wifi access is either charheable or comes with signjng up to mailing lists for all kinds of crap.
Also,h aving a phone or tablet app which can run off line would literally be a game saver for some of my group who have mobility issues and can’t lug around rule books. And people furious at WOTC and bailing from D;D Beyond may come to Nexus and question the lack of a very handy tool.

3 Likes

It’s possible to develop a webapp in a way that it works offline. E.g. by storing data in local storage, browser cache or indexed db, which all browsers support.

And doing that would save the development resources that would otherwise be wasted on developing and maintaining essentially the same features for three different platforms.

So I think the decision to focus on one platform that can satisfy all users is pretty smart.

That depends on which solution is used, Flutter for example would allow a single code base.
I’m not bothered by the how, just that there is an offline capability.

I definitely would be interested in an iPad app

1 Like

A actual app for Android & IOS would be a massive boost for DemiPlanes reach as many people today prefer to use apps over browsers.

Also having a app allows people to buy stuff with Google play funds / giftcards & Apple giftcards.

Note having a app actually limits reach & access.

2 Likes

I would also like to chime in to @joshuamsimons and the rest of the Demiplane team. The lack of a Tablet App is beyond a hinderence on the service.

The simple fact is practically every other alternative to Demiplane offers a Tablet App to ensure customers have the ability to offline download to the respective app, their digital content. A feature in which Demiplane is not offering.

It does not matter how optimized the website is if my playgroup cannot access it. So, as a customer knowing a connectivity issue would be circumvented by a Tablet App existing, I will always place the blame on Demiplane not offering this service every moment my playgroup is cut off access to the content I am paying for.

What is Demiplane doing to ensure my group can play anywhere? If my playgroup wants to go out to a cabin in the woods where we have power and no internet, I should not be punished for paying to use Demiplane over the competitors.

2 Likes

While I think an app would be lovely for everyone, I think they need to take some time before then, they are pretty new as a company, made just a few years ago with some huge breakthroughs this year. Which, they also do have a roadmap and give updates on everything.

I think they definitely need to take their time with these types of things. An app would be a large project, especially with how much they already put into their website for it to look this good and have a good UI. They also have the large project of producing all the character tools, just getting the second one out, while also getting the 5e Nexus on the way.

An app would be amazing though, not only for accessibility yet for in-app purchases, it would be a great place to access material as said before, especially for IRL groups. It also counters the huge offline problem, which I didn’t even know until now, thank you for that Uncanny!

Logically, they would build all the logic/back-end for the browser version first, then when it’s working, build apps for apple/andro.

Otherwise, when you update a small thing you might break all versions at the same time while they are in development. Changing too much stuff at the same time is a receipe for disaster.

Meanwhile, it’s not like you can’t use the web version on a tablet browser

Another vote for an iPad app!

I would love to see the app implemented for Android. Website is slow at times.

1 Like

I’ve looked at demiplane a couple of times but the Web interface just seems sluggish when compared to something like the Pathbuilder app. Until the whole experience is a bit slicker I’m out - but I will keep an eye on it.

It’s still in beta, they’re putting in the basic functionalities, so they’re not at the point to optimize code yet.

Just adding my name to the list of people who would like an app. Mostly for a download option for books so all the features can still be used offline like D&D Beyond does.

1 Like

Tossing my name into the “App would be nice please” hat.